Foxpro will be supported by Microsoft until 2014. What comes next? This is the question of many VFP developers. Before you take the next step, we would like you to look at the BASIS tools for business database applications.
A new development environment should provide as many advantages as possible with the shortest possible learning curve.
BASIS provides you with the same selection of development paradigms as FoxPro, while resolving many disadvantages for you.
BASIS has produced development tools for business applications since 1985. BASIS has not yet allowed a product to “die out”. Protection of our customers’ investment is one of our business philosophies.
Thanks to our business-friendly product policy, several thousand applications developed using BASIS tools in the Eighties and Nineties are still in use today. Of course, they are now running under operating system and on servers that were not available when they were written, even in the Cloud.
Generative Approach or 3GL: Use both, even simultaneously
Barista exists as a databased RAD tool for the generative approach. Barista analyzes the columns and foreign key relationships of an existing database and automatically generates the required GUI controls, as well as the business logic for data entry, modification, deletion, sorting, searching, filtering and more.
User menus, role-based rights administration, auditing tools and more are all supplied in the same package. They can be put into production very quickly for a professional application.
BBj is the object-oriented, dynamic programming language for the Java Virtual Machine from BASIS. BBj is the tool to use, if you don’t like the generative approach or at least want to have the ability to refine Barista’s results.
The implementation of BBj is as simply as Visual BASIC.
BBj includes an optimized NetBeans IDE and a comprehensive set of tools designed for business applications.
In the BBj environment, you have all of the freedom of a 3GL programming language. You can also use BBj to refine and customize the generated Barista applications. Alternatively, you can also use the forms and queries generated by Barista in your BBj code as you like.
BBj is an interpreted language, which makes deployment and maintenance easier for programmers. For example, a debugging console is available, even in the web application.
Most BASIS customers can perform all of their development jobs without leaving the BASIS development environment. However, if you need some very special functions, you can also use Java code in all BBj and Barista applications, on both the server and in the client.
Reports from BASIS applications are not a problem. BASIS incorporates the beloved Jasper Reports tool. Thus, you can generate customized reports using the appropriate iReport designer tool and produce report previews, print outs and even generate HTML, PDF and many other file formats.
One Set of Code for Desktop and Web
Break through the boundaries of the Microsoft world with BASIS. Instead, enjoy the pleasure of complete freedom by running your BASIS applications on PCs, Macs, Linux & Unix-based systems and in all Java-script-enabled browsers, including on all popular Smart Phones and Tablets.
Java-script code is generated on the fly from the BBj source code. The Google Web Toolkit (GWT) ensures that the interpreter has been included.
- Mouse and keyboard controls function both on the Web and desktops. You can even allow your users to navigate between entries using the <Tab> and <Enter> keys.
- You can program function and hot-keys, even for the Web.
- For eye-catching visuals, you can use the Java Swing graphics library on desktops (with all of the controls for business applications, including calendar controls and more), and BASIS delivers the corresponding controls automatically, even in Java-script thin clients. CSS is also available to you for designing web front ends.
- There is no difference for deploying both Web and desktop applications. You simply upload your programs and data to the server and it’s done. You deliver patches and updates using the same approach, even while your software is running with corresponding security features.
Real 3-tier Architecture
Presentation Tier: Three Thin Clients Available
With BASIS, the client is freed from calculations. By default, it only displays the user interface and accepts the keyboard and mouse input from the user, which saves bandwidth and increases processing speed. However, you can also take charge of the program and store calculation code in the client, when doing so provides better application performance.
Three thin clients are available for the user interface: the Java Swing GUI, Java-script for web browsers and ASCII Terminal for special uses such as SSH and Telnet. Your application can use all three clients at the same time.
Application Tier: Encapsulated and Freed from Maintenance
The BBj Services perform the execution of your BASIS program. The BBj Services run centrally on the server, securely, robustly and free of maintenance, even in virtual environments.
- BBj Services allow you to communicate with SQL databases and to offer and use web services without any plug-ins. They can be written in BBj or Java.
- You don’t need a separate application server to run web applications. BBj Services already does these jobs by default.
BASIS always adjusts BBj just-in-time, when anything in the environment changes (new versions of Java, new operating systems, etc). You can concentrate on software development.
Proprietary cabinets become a thing of the past. A complete, fully capable relational DBMS has been included in the BASIS package. It is particularly appropriate for FoxPro applications, since it provides many features that are familiar to FoxPro developers and frees them from many typical FoxPro limitations.
- Database tables are not limited to two GB.
- Individual records can be directly addressed using their index (or key) and can be individually pessimistically locked.
- Individual records are accessed more quickly than in many SQL databases.
- Individual database tables can be backed up directly.
- 24/7 replication of the database, even during running operation.
- Security features (encryption) for protecting your data.You can generate forms with calculated and results fields without needing to have database support for each form entry.
The BASIS development tools give you every freedom, regardless of database.
You don’t have to use the BASIS database. The BASIS technology also works smoothly with other SQL database using JDBC/ODBC or Java libraries.
Are You Interested?
Call us. We will arrange a webinar free-of-charge or an on-site presentation.